Visibility Costs Micks Good Finish at GP3R

Team press release

TROIS RIVIERES, QUEBEC, Monday August 8, 2011: Kerry Micks driver of the No. 02 Dickies/Beyond Digital Imaging Ford Fusion had issues in practice, but bounced back to post the sixth quickest time in qualifying. Micks would go on to have visibility issues during the race and finish twenty first.

In practice, Micks had a bad vibration which cut the session short for them. The No. 02 team went to work and fixed the problem on the Dickies/Beyond Digital imaging Ford Fusion giving Micks the car he needed to post a sixth place qualifying effort with a time of 1:08.807 and an average speed of 803.050 miles per hour.

As the field took to the track for the warm up laps, NASCAR brought the 33 car field to pit road to put on the Goodyear rain tires and apply Rain-X to the windshield as a steady down pour was in the forecast.

Micks started the GP3R 100 on the outside of row three and with the drop of the green flag picked up a position moving into the fifth. On lap 3, however, Micks made his way to the pits to try and clear the windshield as he came over the radio and told his crew, “The window keeps fogging up, I can’t see a thing.” Micks would end up going down a lap and was running near the back of a 33 car field when the first caution came out on lap 11.

By lap 21, Micks had made his way up to 26th, but like a lot of drivers was experiencing visibility problems and came back to pit road to the attention of his crew. Micks went down another two laps and by this point he was trying to play it safe and bring the No. 02 Ford Fusion home in one piece. Micks also had the point standings on his mind as he went into the event in fifth place. He worked diligently to pick up ten positions and would cross the finish line in twenty first.

After the race Micks commented, “Our problem today was visibility, we just couldn’t see out there. I had to pit twice to get my windshield wiped off. We tried everything and couldn’t keep it from fogging up, my team even gave me a squeegee to use inside the car, but nothing worked. The car was really fast so it’s too bad that we didn’t get to run it in dry conditions. We are looking forward to Montreal in two weeks’ time as we have two wins there.”

The GP3R 100 aired on TSN on August 7th at 3:30 p.m. EST., and the replay will air August 17th at 1:30 p.m. EST.

Micks maintained fifth in the NASCAR point standings and the next stop for Micks and the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series will be in two weeks’ time when the teams makes the trip back to Quebec for NCATS Montreal at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Don’t forget to go to before the race and pick the winners in the Dickies Race to Win Challenge for a chance to win some great prizes.

Photo by Joe Hamilton

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *