While the Trans Am cars sat on the mock grid, the World Challenge teams were circling Mosport International Raceway under a full course yellow. The reason? A damp track that deposited 5 cars into the tires between corners 9 and 10. Typical of Mosport’s weather patterns, the rain stopped and started a couple of times. As the TA cars made their way out on the track, the skies opened.
One quick lap behind the pace car and the field went green. For about 30 seconds.
Let’s think about this for a minute: big V8 horsepower, cold slick tires and pouring rain. A traditional start is a recipe for disaster. A disaster it was!
Ian Patterson, in his gorgeous new Gateway Racing Corvette, got a great start which moved him up to a point that he might have been able to challenge car builder Blaise Csida for 3rd spot. As they pack climbed the hill towards turn 2, the Jaguar of Trinidadian Daniel Ramoutarsingh pounced forward and then snapped to the right, directly in front of Patterson. The resulting mess claimed 4 cars out of a 13 car field.
Following a short red flag period while the carnage was removed and the track cleaned up, the race started again on a dry surface. Having qualified a full 2 seconds faster than off pole Blaise Csida, Tony Ave pretty much ran away from the rest of the pack, followed by Csida and Amy Ruman and that was the way it would remain until the checkered flag.
Just like the old days, when there were classes in the Trans Am series, there is now a second class. This class of only 2 cars was won by Texan Bob Stretch in the very cool 2010 Camaro bodied racer.
1. TA, (1) Tony Ave, Maiden, N.C., Chevrolet Corvette, 41.
2. TA, (2) Blaise Csida(R), Stouffville, Ontario, Chevrolet Corvette, 41, -14.961.
3. TA, (6) Amy Ruman, Kent, Ohio, Chevrolet Corvette, 41, -1:02.249.
4. TA, (3) Simon Gregg, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., Chevrolet Corvette, 41, -1:16.614.
5. TA, (9) David Jans(R), Mundelein, Ill., Ford Mustang, 38, -3 laps.
6. TA2, (11) Bob Stretch(R), Arlington, Texas, Chevrolet Camaro, 37, -4 laps.
7. TA, (10) Jonathan Brett(R), Mt. Elgin, Ontario, Chevrolet Corvette, 36, -5 laps.
8. TA2, (13) Bill Prietzel(R), Hubertus, Wis., Chevrolet Monte Carlo, 36, -5 laps.
9. TA, (12) Greg Clifton(R), Toronto, Ontario, Chevrolet Camaro, 28, Mech.
10. TA, (7) John Baucom, Charlotte, N.C., Ford Mustang, 26, Mech.
11. TA, (4) Daniel Ramoutarsingh, La Romain Trinidad, , Jaguar XKR, 0, Crash.
12. TA, (5) Ian Patterson(R), Petersburg, Ontario, Chevrolet Corvette, 0, Crash.
13. TA, (8) Elmer Shannon(R), San Francisco, Calif., Chevrolet Corvette, 0, Crash.
Time of race: 1 hours, 3 minutes, 07.255 seconds.
Average speed: 95.834 mph
Margin of victory: 14.961 Seconds
Lap leaders: Laps 1-41, #4 Tony Ave
Fastest race lap: #4 Tony Ave, 1:18.368 (112.959 mph)
Fastest qualifier: #4 Tony Ave, 1:15.952 (116.552 mph)
Check out Ian Patterson’s view of the first lap incident.